On Jan 15, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Francesco wrote:

> Has the target attribute of the anchor tag been
> deprecated?  If so, how are we now supposed to specify
> a target window?

Francesco,

There are two primary uses for targets: frames and popups.

Many people (myself included) are of the opinion that frames are
generally unfriendly to your visitors.  HTML, CSS and Javascript have
evolved to the point that Almost anything that you can do with frames
you can also do in a single document.  For these solutions, the
target attribute just isn't necessary.  However, if you absolutely
require frames, you can use a FRAMESET doctype declaration, which
will still validate with the (deprecated) target attribute.

There are some cases in which opening new windows (for which targets
are also used) is a good idea.  The example that springs to mind is
Amazon's now-standards "What's This?" link, which brings up a helpful
explanation in a small popup. For this, a bit of unobtrusive
Javascript is almost definitely the best way to go, so target is
again unnecessary.

--
Matthew Levine (http://www.infocraft.com/)