Thank you Holly!  That seemed to do the trick (and was driving me crazy).

A couple of questions:
    I realize that it was causing me problems in this example, but is it
always the case that a block level element cannot (should not) be contained
in an inline element?

    Could you be more specific about the competing selectors that you are
referring to? - I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks again,
Scott