Uwe et al. Another article about doctype that you might find helpful. It
explains what doctype does re the rendering engines of the different
browsers re quirksmode and such. VERY detailed, and might prove helpful
if you're looking to fix a problem in a specific browser.

<http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/>

On 18.01.2006 01:40, Design Groups wrote:

>> Here's a question that was brought to my attention today...
>>
>> What, exactly, does the Doctype *do*?

Unfortunately the use of doctype is not very intuitive,
and I too don't understand the *exactly* sense of it.

All I know is:

1)The document declaration is primarily used, in order
   to validate a document.

2)Browsers never validate a document, since it is bare
   of any sense to do it.  As long as the document is
   "well-formed" they will always display it.

3)The XML-parser of a browser don't need a doctype, but
   a name space only.

4)A HTML-parsers don't need a doctype to render a document,
   but they use the the doctype to switch to different modes,
   by convention of browser vendors and W3C.

The only related article I found, is:

DOCTYPE declarations for versioning information
< http://slashdot.org/~Quantum%20Jim/journal/111067 >

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound says I'm squeaky clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0603-3, 01/18/2006
Tested on: 1/18/2006 2:33:06 PM