Jim Nannery wrote:

>>Cory wrote:
>>I'm sorry, I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am
>>not talking about how the layout looks in the browser, I am talking
>>about when you right click and view the source code, THAT is what is all
>>messed up. In particular the CSS. In DW8, the CSS is all nice and neat
>>just like I coded it, but if you view the CSS CODE in a browser window,
>>it is all messed up and all over the place like it lost the formatting.
>>
>>What would cause that? The browser, the FTP program that I am using or
>>what?
>>Cory
>>

>[...]
>Since I don't use Dreamweaver (old hand coder) I'm *guessing* that DW uses
>some proprietary formatting that isn't recognized by the browser you are
>trying to view it in.
>[...]
Hi Cory,
I don't have DW either, but guess it will be the way DW is making the
tab space. The same thing is happening for instance in Frontpage: there
they use a tab space which is about 4 letters in width. Openend the same
css-file (or javascript-file: same effects) in Wordpad, the space is 6
letters. And in Notepad ...  10 letters in width (& sometimes not
showing the tabs, but a black sign instead, without spacing). With 2 or
more indenting tabs for nested div's it doesn't show good anymore. Then
there are huge white spaces and wrappings to next lines: *"unordered
listings"*. ;-)
You can check this by moving in the css-file with the arrow keys: big
jumps in the whitespaces indicate the tab positions.

It can be also, that in DW a proportional font-type is used, while not
in Notepad.
In browsers, it depends of the default text-editor you have assigned in
the browser configuration: the text-editor that will be used
automatically when the browser discovers a css- or other text file that
has to be opened.

>Does the html render as expected in the browser? If so, I wouldn't worry to
>much about how the code looks in view source.
>[...]
Agree! - When I am in a clear mood, I don't use the tab key when coding, but
give 2 or 3 ordinary spacebar spaces - then the code is always good looking.

francky