Jeff Moyes wrote:

>Does anyone know of a reference anywhere that lists the css that
>Macromedia's DreamWeaver supports in its internal rendering engine?

No, and such a thing would be extremely difficult to create.  Most of
its CSS bugs aren't as simple as "doesn't support the property
min-width" or something, but are more dependent on the particular
combination of things that is going on in a page.  I use negative
margins a lot, and sometimes DW displays them fine, other times it
completely chokes.  Too much going on in a single page to diagnose
precisely what it is having a problem with.

And this would be a fruitless exercise, anyway.  I don't care what DW
supports -- I care what browsers support.  I write my CSS that works
well in browsers, and if DW has a problem with it, I ignore it or create
a Design-time Style Sheet for it to use instead.

>I need to know this in that I have a friend who is making an extension
>for DreamWeaver, and the GUI for DW's extensions are defined using html
>+ css + javascript.  So he needs to use css to style the gui elements,
>and he keeps running into lots of grief when something doesn't look
>right - not knowing whether it's lack of support in DW's rendering
>engine for that particular css feature or whether it's some bug in his
>code (either in the css or the html or even in some javascript as some
>of the elements are dynamically generated and maybe aren't being
>generated correctly for the css to then be able to style).

He needs to learn to preview in browser.  That's how you check whether
it's DW or you (or the browser) that is the problem.

>Any info would be greatly appreciated but DW MX 2004 and newer would be
>best, both for Windows and MAC OS X.

Upgrading to DW 8 would be a big help -- much better CSS support there.

>(I seem to remember hearing back with MX 2004 that DW for MAC OS X was
>using Opera as the rendering engine - but I'm not sure if that's true.
>It does seem to have various css bugs not present in Opera though).

No, DW doesn't use any particular browser's rendering engine.  You may
be thinking of GoLive, which I believe does use Opera's rendering engine
for one of its views.

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater