Hi Christian,
You said:
>   ... Here are some options I am considering:
>
> - a fluid layout with em based max-width
> - an elastic layout with max-width 100%
> - an elastic layout without max-width

Another layout I'd suggest is Mike Purvis's Jello layout[1]. My screen is
1440 pixels wide - wide enough to compare layout methods and get an idea
of how well they work. I am experimenting with the technique, and like it
a lot, even without a max-width applied. (It has an inherent min-width.)

Of course, the nature of the design you are working with may dictate a
different approach. All are viable, I think.

[1] <http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello-expo.html>

Cordially,
David
--