Stan Winchester wrote:

>Using FF 1.5 & NS 8 the div tag id "outer" I've set the
>background-color to transparent it renders as I wanted, but in IE 6
>shows the background black (look under the FAQ button - My client
>insist on using the graphic button menu). It seemed the black is coming
>from the color selector in the body tag; if I change the body color to
>red it shows red, but if I change it to transparent it shows black. I'm not
sure what to do.
>Here is html:
>http://www.aftershockweb.net/bd/asian-herbs/test/
>[...]
>Here is css:
> http://www.aftershockweb.net/bd/asian-herbs/test/assets/styles.css

Hi Stan,
Perhaps first validate the html? The are some errors, like a double charset
and starting an ID with a number.
In FF I don't see a difference when I cancel the whole #outer {
background-color: transparent; }. Can it be omitted without consequences? If
neded, did you try { background-color: inherit; }?

Greetings,
francky
Thanks to All who have helped on this issue,

I validated the page, and tried various ideas, but it remained black. I took
a new look at the code (originally from Rachel Andrew's book "The CSS
Anthology") and noticed the left column is really laid over top of a very
wide border. If I set the border-left-style to anything but solid, hidden,
or none it seems to work in FF, NS and IE, though I don't think it is a very
good fix. I have only tested Windows so far.

So here is the fix:

border-left: 200px dotted transparent;

If there is a better fix I would love to hear it.

Thank you,
Aftershock Web Design, Inc.
by: Stan Winchester
President/Developer