if I use either:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd";>
  or
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>

I get the expedted result (a backgrund image attached to the row, to to
the cells)  in Moz/FF, but as expected not in IE :(

to be continued...

Pierre.