Theresa Mesa wrote:
>Why, when I enter the URI for my website, http://mesadesignhouse.com , into
>the CSS validator, does it tell me that "padding:" doesn't exist for one of
>my rules (div#sidebar), but it doesn't point out all the other instances
>where I *do* use padding with impunity?

It is warning you about "????padding:".  Have you used something
other than simple spaces or tabs for your whitespace before this
property?  It could be that the characters you used are unexpectedly
being interpreted by the parser as part of the property name.

>And why does it give me all those warnings about colors and background
>colors when I'm using the divs as containers only, and colors are addressed
>elsewhere in the CSS code?

It doesn't look elsewhere in the code.  It is a simple machine check,
and warns you if the code is valid but could present a problem.  For
example, one color warning you get is this one:

You have no background-color with your color : div#nav a:link

What if somebody out there who hates not knowing where the links are
on the page (or who has trouble seeing in general) has set a light
background for all links in a user stylesheet?  Now this user may be
able to tell these are links just by looking at them, but he may not
be able to read them any more, since the contrast has been destroyed.

It's up to you if you want to fix something like this.  The validator
just points it out in case you overlooked a possible problem.  See
the code validation page on the Wiki for more info.

HTH,

-Adam Kuehn