Am Samstag, 28. Januar 2006 16:33 schrieb Eric A. Meyer:
> At 5:15 AM +0100 1/28/06, Jochen Kaechelin wrote:
> >The only thing I want to tell the people on the list is that there might
> > be some subscribers who use a mailsystem with a vulnability.
>
>     That's a laudable intent.  Here's how I think it would have been
> better handled:
>
>     * Get in touch with the administrators of the vulnerable host and
> help them to fix the problem in private, before anyone malicious has
> a chance to take advantage of the problem.
>     * Mail, off-list, all of the addresses you can find in the
> archives from the affected host, warning them of the problem.  You
> could also try mailing the css-d administrator address to ask that we
> pass a message along to all affected accounts in the subscriber
> database.
>
> The problem now is that, given the way you posted about this, you've
> potentially exposed a server vulnerability to the whole world,
> because all list messages are publicly archived.  Maybe that won't
> make any difference, but maybe it will.
>     Ordinarily, I'd have sent this reply off-list, but I decided it
> was better to respond publicly and establish guidelines for the
> future.  I don't want to be a roadblock to improving security, but I
> also don't want to see security warnings on the list.  It's just the
> wrong venue, and there are (as I said above) other ways to handle
> such situations.

Ok, but I have a different opinion in handling such things!!!
I informed the responsable people about 12 hours ago and I did not get a
response so far! They behave like microsoft! They know about the problems -
sometimes for years and did not try to solve it. I'am sure that the
responsable people would not react when I send them a "private" mail.
Perhaps they react when a lot of people know about it!!!

What about pages like securityfocus ..... Why do they publish security holes?
And everyone can read it and try a exploit! Are these guys bad?
Isn't it your intention to run a save system??