Seona Bellamy wrote:
> ... I can see what it's meant to be doing, and while it doesn't
> solve all of my problems, it does at least solve one of them. However, I
> don't seemt o be getting it to work. In Firefox, the menu is still
> disappearing behind the footer and what's past the end of the screen can't
> be seen. In IE it's disappearing behind the footer, but is at least
> extending the absolutely positioned box so that you can see the rest of the
> menu poking out from behind the footer (which has glued itself to the bottom
> of the main content).
>
> Have a look at http://staging.renovate.com.au and see if you can figure out
> what's going wrong here.

This is not what I had proposed:

Actually, I meant some sort of a solid element:

This does work with a fixed-positioned footer. A fixed footer at the
bottom would just take the space it needs, regardless of the presence or
absence of any absolutely positioned box.

The footer still does not know anything about the a.p. box. With the
"glue solvent", the a.p. box gets space beyond itself. It's the html
element that expands to contain the a.p.box plus "glue solvent".

Note that this does not change the fact that the a.p. box is still an
absolutely positioned element. Apart from the html element, other
elements on your page do not know about its presence.

You cannot use the a.p. box to extend anything but the viewport.
Therefore, your Jellow Mold design is not possible with a.p. elements.

In your original post, you said you were using the "Cookiecrook mod to
Devnull's example" method of a position:fixed-emulating frame-alike
footer for IE in quirks mode.

I had re-builded this kind of footer on my testcase [1] from the link
you provided.

If I understand your design correctly, you are using a different
technique. Your current technique does not emulate a fixed positioning,
but I can be wrong.

> Is there a way to clear absolute elements like the way
> you can clear floats?

No.

My proposal is meant to establish space between the absolute element's
bottom edge and the bottom edge of the viewport.

Regards,
Ingo

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/apboxgluesolvent.html

--