Rob Cochrane wrote:

>> I am experimenting with Alex's excellent 'one true layout' to
>> dynamically change from what is effectively a Left To Right layout to a
>> Right To Left one.
>> I have set up the style sheets such that the common items are in one and
>> I switch via PHP those that influence the layout.
>>
>> Layouts are 2:1:3 and 3:1:2
>>
>> All is great in FF but in IE one layout crashes and I have overlooked
>> something or something is causing the error. The problem occurs when one
>> selects Arabic (thus changing the read direction and switching CSS) as
>> the language and submits in IE (6 and 7) the 2nd and 3rd columns pile to
>> the right!
>>
>> Page:  http://demo.by-rob.com/BasicTemplate.php
>>
>> CSS:  http://demo.by-rob.com/css/basiclayout.css
>>           http://demo.by-rob.com/css/layoutRTL.css
>>           http://demo.by-rob.com/css/layoutLTR.css
>>
>> If you would be so kind as to show me the error of my ways

> I am beginning to despair is there no one within this august body that
> is able to offer some clue, original author included?
>
> Perhaps it is the M$ IE7 madness?

Perhaps.

Or perhaps the rtl problem is just not solved yet, and nobody knows an
answer. I do not.

Could you please simplify your attempt, e.g. by using an /original/
layout by the generator

http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/onetruelayout/example/interactive

and try to add dir="rtl". If you can make this work in IE6, then start
adding new items. Otherwise, post this minimal testcase.

I did try it in IE7b2, that's what currently installed here, and the
trick was to move the dir from body to an inner wrapper of body. Of
course, this did not work with your page. Again, simplify.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html