<snip>

> So this innocent looking documentation attempt
>
>   <!-- This element fixes the isthereanameforit-bug -->
>   <!--[if IE]>
>   <![endif]-->
>
> may cause problems that are difficult to debug. Authors are
> baffled when
> IE6 kicks one or two characters into the screen where they
> don't belong to.
>
>    (
> Or, I haven't had time to test it, are we allowed to add a comment
> phrase /inside/ the conditional comment?
>
>     <!--[if expression] comment_phrase > HTML <![endif]-->
> or
>     <!--[if expression]> HTML <![endif] comment_phrase -->
>
> I don't know, and I did not find a mention of it in [1].

> Ingo

Ingo-

I don't know if you can place html comments within the conditional comments
section, but you could certainly place css comments in there. That would avoid
the problem entirely, right?

I think I'm one of the few people who've encountered a crashing version of the
duplicate characters bug, which you helped me solve. I believe the problem in
my case was an empty div that IE was attempting to duplicate, causing the crash.

Regards,
Ron