Ron - big thank you! The problem is exactly as described in the links below
and that gave me an idea ...

Previously I had the input buttons outside a fieldset - I've now included
the input buttons in the fieldset and the buttons now float correctly! Looks
like it does have to do with the structure of form / fieldset / div / input
which triggers the incorrect inheritance of the left-margin from a
containing element and by positioning the button input element outside the
<fieldset> it all got wonky.

To explain:
form/fieldset/div/input - all okay
form/div/input - wonky in IE (left-margin inherited from form)

many thanks for your help! edith
(now I just got to write a PHP script to go with the form :)

Pringle, Ron wrote:

It appears that this is a bug in IE [0]. Your input#reset is inheriting
the 100px left margin from the #enquiry form container.

[0] after googling for IE css input bug, I came across this post:

http://jennifergrucza.com/blog/archives/2004/08/31/weird-ie-bug-inputs-incor
rectly-inherit-horizontal-margins-when-theyre-in-a-fieldset