Julie Flolo wrote:
> http://www.floloweb.com/test/index4.html

> Hi All, I feel like such an idiot.  I'm trying to do a website with
> css, forgoing tables.  There are things that seem like it should be
> so simple that I can't figure out!  Arrrrghhh!

Just imagine how I might feel at times, having worked around these
things for years and still needing time to crack problems - whether they
are caused by standards or browser-bugs. :-)

It's fun when it's working though.

> My main question right now is:  Why isn't the background on the top
> horizontal menu going all the way to the top of the element?  There's
>  a gap between the top logo and the menu, and the page background is
> showing.

Collapsing margins[1] - again...

One (working) fix - add:

#topmenu {padding-top: 1px;}

-----------

There's also an IE-bug in there - the 'em font-resizing bug'[2].

Working fix - add:

html {font-size: 100%;}

Another IE-bug is haunting that 'leftmenu'.

#leftmenu ul li {width: 100%;}

...will fix that.

regards
        Georg