Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

>Mike Soultanian wrote:
>

>>I am having some trouble trying to figure out where some gaps are
>>coming from.  If you look at the following page in FF/IE/Opera,
>>you'll notice that there's a gap between each of the letters in the
>>big "THE ARTS" graphics with the purple background.
>>
>>http://admiral.its.csulb.edu/cota/index.cfm?fuseaction=cota.home
>>

>Solution: float those letter-images, and clear underneath to make the
>rest line up.
>[...]
>
>       Georg
>
>[1]http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html

It may be that I simply do not understand, but FWIW: While Georg's
solution resolves the question you wrote about, I am not sure how that
will necessarily solve the problem. As I see it, the letters and word
spacing are now, TBNT(tight but not touch). /The problem/ is that reads
'theater' for me, and will do so even more when the letters are tighter.
I'd think more about leaving it the way it is, and increasing the
word-spacing slightly. Typography is about readability, not about being
"cool." Or is it?
~davidLaakso