Francky,

Thanks for the advice. Using your added styles, the result is better,
but adds scrollbars a bit differently than I'd intended:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/bleber/css/table_test3.html

Whereas in example 1 scrollbars appear for the container div (#preview),
example 3 creates scrollbars for the the entire layout table. In the
context of the project where this would be used, this produces a bizarre
effect. The issue is that scrolling the entire layout table is likely to
be very disorienting for a user.

Also frustrating is that the long table (the table with many columns)
increases the width of the layout table, effectively moving the
right-aligned parts of my header and footer off-screen. An inline frame
is starting to look a little more attractive for this disastrous table.
Either that or a fixed width for the container div (#preview). I think
the problem is with IE's interpretation of width:100%; on another area
of the site, this property/value pair produces a table that goes off the
right end of the containing div, with no scrollbars!

thanks again, and sorry for the verbose emails--I just can't think of a
simple way to describe all of this.

Brett