At 08:30 AM 1/25/2006, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
>Just to be clear, it's a totally reasonable thing to expect
>from CSS. It would be nice to be able to define
>
>h[0-9] {
>         font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
>}
>
>instead of the ungainly
>
>h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, h7, h8, h9 {
>         font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
>}

Perhaps, but please find another example.  The h1-h6* tags are the
only instances of numbered tags in HTML; surely you wouldn't add
RegExp to CSS for just that.

Would you really want to be able to write CSS rules like this?

         d(iv|l)(.|#)cont(act|ent) (p(re){0,1}|dt)
         {
                 border(-.+){0,1}: 1px solid #000;
         }

Is it that you think stylesheets are too easy to proofread today and
you're looking for more challenge?

I can see the advantage of using variables in rule values, but I'd
want to see us plumb the depths of CSS2 & CSS3 selectors before
looking for further complication.

Regards,
Paul

*PS: Where did h7-h9 come from?