I've implemented the "man-in-blue" footerStickAlt technique on my test
site and it seems to work quite well in Safari, IE5.5/6, breaks in
IE7beta2 as expected. However, on my test site homepage
(http://dev.gelatincube.com/gcpsiro/index.php) I use absolute
positioning on the main content area to create two columns. On this
particular page, the technique breaks. So I guess I might have to
position the two columns relatively and float them to achieve two
columns and then make the footer clear both floats. Gonna try that
now. Solution seems close at hand, thanks to all.

- Ben