Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

>> #column3 {overflow-x: hidden;}

> Be aware that this code is also supported by Firefox 1.5 (according
> to the CSS 3 draft [1]). That might (or not) affect your layout under
>  certain circumstances. Probably better hide this form better
> browsers.
>
> [1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#the-overflow-x>

True, and I tested it in Firefox 1.5.0.1 and thought it worked better
for the original pages when left working in FF. Other pages might not
work so well, so delivering that bit of style to IE/win only is a good
option.

The pages in question could also do with some more 'hidden', as the
whole layout is easily skewed if 'user-option: ignore font sizes' is
applied in IE/win.

Adding...

#column1 {overflow-x: hidden;}

...will prevent the skewing and column-dropping in IE, and Firefox will
still be happy with it even if a high degree of 'font-zooming' is
applied.

The "success" (or not) is highly dependent on word-length when any
'overflow: hidden' is used on narrow columns, so each page should
ideally be tested to breaking-point with a wide range of 'font-zoom' in
all supported browsers.

The alternative to 'overflow: hidden' is to let content overlap across
columns, which is something IE/win isn't any good at. That's what's
causing all problems in the first place.
That can be worked around, but won't come out nice. Thus, I think
'overflow-x: hidden' will work best for this layout.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no