Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

> ... Where is there a good resource on display: [property] as I really
>  want to get my head around that better.  I have to admit I use them
> regularly without comprehending fully why and/or if I should.

W3C provide all essential information. Most of it will work as
intended in the good browsers. A tiny bit of it might even work in IE6,
and maybe IE7 will understand some CSS too.

Tables in CSS2.1...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables>

The 'display' property...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#display-prop>

Block formatting context...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#q15>

---

Info about some buggy bits in IE/win - 'hasLyout'...
<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html>

> It never occurred to me that the paragraph block was causing my
> problem. I actually took that out at this point and just left the
> filler text without paragraphs for the moment.

You should use paragraphs, headings and other elements as intended in
the W3C-specs, and give them suitable margins and/or paddings that suit
your design. Avoiding problems is not a great way to learn about
/handling/ problems, and the learning-curve for CSS-design is pretty steep.
Taking the time to learn is really the only viable option. Expect to
create at least a few dozen test-cases just to get the hang of the
basics. A few hundred test-cases will help even more into what some see
as the advanced parts of CSS-design, but only if you keep them close to
W3C specs, of course.

> http://bestfoot.com/dummy/test004.html
>
> How do I get the right sidebar background all the way to the bottom
> of the page?  How do I get the middle column to have a height = 100%
> of the right sidebar?  Would containing them both in another div do
> it?  Is it bad to float all three side by side like that?  Am I about
> to have a float clear problem?

Dunno... :-)

I use layout-methods that are (more or less) in line with...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>
...and fake all the visual same-height-columns nonsense with something
that looks like...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/>
...so those two articles might provide you with a few solutions.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no