[snip]
I think the problem is that you need to delete that gross image and make

believe it never happened.
There is no need to re-invent the wheel. There are numerous layouts on
the Wiki < http://css-discuss.incutio.com/ >that are known to work. Pick

one that suits your need(many of the 3 col layouts are easily converted
to 2 cols).
[/snip]

Whoa! Gross image? There is some positive re-enforcement there! (FYI,
the image was provided to me, I don't really have a choice on that. And
if I had created the image I would be totally insulted.)

I have looked at several 2 and 3 column layouts and have made use of
those that I know to work in other situations. The new things here are
the header and footer. It would appear that the header is the major
cause of the problem, but it is designed that way so that additional
elements can be layered on top of the image.