Scott Haneda wrote:
>I have a table td that has a font size set to .8em, if I put a h1 inside the
>td, any font size I set to the h1 will be a percentage of the td's .8.

Only if you set the size in ems or percentage.  As I recall, IE sets
its header default sizes in points, for example, so they wouldn't be
affected by the .8em.  You could use points, pixels, mm, or absolute
keywords (among others) without worrying about inheritance.

>This kinda bugs me, is there some other approach to be able to use
>consistent font sizes

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  You can always reset the
relative font sizes, if you are willing to do a little math.  If you
set the font size to .8em on the TD, for example, and you want to get
a font size of, say, 1.25 times the original value, just set the
value to 1.25/.8 = 1.5625em.  (Presumably you can round that a
little.)  It is perfectly consistent.  If you are planning to change
the font size of an outer element, of course, you'll need to
recalculate the value for the inner element, as well.  I guess from
that standpoint it isn't maintenance friendly.  But if you are going
more than a level or too deep, you probably need to rethink your
design, anyway.  Font-size should be set sparingly.

HTH,

-Adam Kuehn