Eike Jordan wrote:
> I already considered such a Javascript-DOM solution but the aspects
> on http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/wrappinglinkbg.html inspired me to
> play around with some CSS settings. I found a semi optimal solution
> whereas it is not less weird. Just add a defined height to the affected
> selector et voilĂ : No more vanished background images.
> a.link_ext {
>               height: 1em;
>             }
> Inimitable groovy :-)
>
> Regards

Eike, that's very interesting. It will only work in quirks mode
rendering, and it will prevent the link to wrap at all.

In standards mode, meaning with a correct Doctype, "width" or "height"
will not apply to inline level elements like A.

The basic effect of applying this height is to apply "layout". In
standards mode, this can be achieved with adding the proprietary
property "zoom:1;", this will work in IE7 too.

Anyway, giving "layout" to an inline level element causes it to behave
more like inline-block, and in consequence, it will not wrap.

But clearly, this information is missing in my writing; I will add it
soon, thanks.

See for further notes on "layout" our article [1].

Regards,
Ingo

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html

--