Darren wrote:
> Please could someone take a look at this site for me
> www.xperience.gb.com/yig/temp/index.htm
>
> The problem I am experiencing is that the footer should have a 10px gap
> between the border top and the main content.
>
> This seems to be working fine in IE6, opera 8.5, but Netscape and firefox
> the footer is right up tight to the content.

Zoe provided a solution for these issues.
> I am also getting a problem with the default text not showing in Opera I
> seem to be getting a unreadable text instead I'm not sure if this is a
> setting on the browser or not.
>
> The css file can be found:
> www.xperience.gb.com/yig/temp/includes/yig-style.css

As Zoe mentioned you show fonts as you intend on Opera, too.
OTOH, you've got IE locked by setting fonts in pixels; and, you're
driving some browsers bonkers setting leading in pixels , too.
Below is alternative cross-browser method of setting /user default/ and
un-locking the 'evil one:'

> Darren

body { /*font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:
11px;*/font: 100%/1.2 sans-serif;}
#menu {/* font-weight: bold;*/}
#menu ul{ font-size: 90%;font-weight: 600; line-height: 2.5;}
#menu li {/*line-height: 30px;*/}
#left-bottom-top {font-size: /*12px*/95%;}
.welcome {/*font-size: 14px;do not set a font-size on this selector
line-height: 18px;*/}
.search { /*font-size: 11px;*/font-size: 85%;}.
#footerLeft { /*line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 11px;*/font-size: 80%;}

Best,
~davidLaakso

--

Typography exists to honor content.