> The original site is www.a-wind-farm-too-far.com
> The new page is www.a-wind-farm-too-far.com/indexnew.htm
>
> The original layout has a column ('sidebar') floated right with the main
> content in 'maincol' inside 'container' which is floated left.
>
> The new layout has added 'infobar' inside 'container' and floated left
> with a left margin on 'maincol' to make space for it. This works in
> Opera and Firefox but in IE 'maincol' is displaced below 'infobar'.

This is very typical!  It happens with most designs that are tighly
assembled and it is caused by differences in how ie6 calculates
dimensions.  As usual, allow for padding and margin differences, add an
ie 6.x only stylesheet and hum merrily on your way.  You almost always
need to reduce the column width of either infobar or maincol inside of
container for it to work.  The reason it drops one below is that the
contents are too wide for the container by it's math.

I personally put my special ie only rules in conditionals like these
nowadays (top one for 6 and below and bottom one for 7 and above if needed):
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
/* ie 6- stuff in here */
<![endif]-->

<!--[if gt IE 6]>
/* ie 7+ stuff in here */
<![endif]-->

I have discontinued my use of the * and other similiar hacks.

Don