A question about the CSS specs and a bug report for IE7 build 5335.

IE7 build 5335 "fails" the test t1 in the test case below. I say "fails" in
the sense that I'm assuming that the consensus represented by the behaviour
shown by Firefox 1.5 and the current pre-release versions Opera 9 is assumed
to be correct.

Could someone tell me whether the test below is valid or fair?

That is, I am assuming that my reading of the unhelpful CSS 2/2.1 specs is
that comments are in a sense ignorable, in that they are not separators
equivalent to whitespace, so that a selector such as
        *[lang]/**/[xmlns]
should be equivalent to *[lang][xmlns]

and not equivalent to
        *[lang]  [xmlns]

Is that correct?

Cecil Ward.

Test case follows:-

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

<head>
        <title></title>

        *[lang]/**/[xmlns] #t1 { font-style:italic;     }
        p/**/#t2        { font-style:italic;    }

</head>