David Gordon wrote:
> Here's a page I'm designing to work with TextPatten (its a dummy, the
> links don't work).
> <http://www.dgordon.eclipse.co.uk/demo.html>
> This is looking good to me so far, the main news headlines are arranged
> as I want them, a big headline over two columns followed by older news.
> However to get stories 2 through 5 to line up neatly I've had to use a height:
>
> That's fine if all the stories take up the same space, but some don't
> and that leaves too much empty space.
>
> But if I remove the hight: as seen here
> <http://www.dgordon.eclipse.co.uk/demo2.html>
> although one story moves up to make best use of the space, another drops
> down - making the design worst!
>
> So I'm asking for a solution which gives me more flexible divs, I'd like
> them to take up enough space for their text without leaving big holes in
> the page. Can this be done, or is my first page as good as I can hope for.

I /guess/ what you may be after is a 2 col layout, containing a 2 col
layout. If that is the case, I took a whack at trying
it:<http://www.dlaakso.com/2c-in-2c.html>.
If this works for you, you may want the left column of the inner 2
column layout to be first in source order-- I didn't take the time to do
that.
HTH
Best,
~davidLaakso