Hi dear list members,
I got a question about the dotted border style in Opera. Sometimes the
horizontal dots have more space between them as expected, and sometimes
the some vertical dotterd borders: "Why and what to do?"

I didn't know the answer, so I took a look at our incutio Wiki
<http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=OperaBugs>.

    * And went to *Quirksmode*, were I found 1 report of Chris Hester

<http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=2&search=dotted&CategoryID=5>

      He reports the horizontal dots bug - no workaround is included.
    * I didn't find it in the *PIE* Opera-omnibus
      <http://www.positioniseverything.net/op-omnibus.html>.
    * At the Opera forum page I searched for "dotted border", and got ;-)
      quite a list

<http://my.opera.com/community/forums/search.dml?term=%22dotted+border%22&tag=&username=&datemodifier=newer&limitdate=any&sortby=last&disp=thread&mode=forum&submit=+search+>.
      (sorry if this long link is breaking).
    * The last posting I see is dec. 2004 on the Wish-list
      <http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=41064>
      At that moment they are still wishing for improvement.

In the discussions elsewhere on the Opera-forum is said that it is no
real "bug", as css lets the browsers free in how they render a dotted
border. Mmm, can be, but for me the result is the same: not too good.
To get a finger behind the problem, and search for a workaround, I made
a demo page
<http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-opera-dotted-borders.html>.

My conclusion is:
- there is no general css-workaround,
- sometimes an "operadotfix" can be applied (adding a small margin or
padding), but just for a special page with a certain amount of text
(and/or: special width of a container) and a special resolution (!),
while adding more text to the same page can disturb things again ..,
- there can be built a workaround with painted gif-borders, but that is
asking extra div's in the html,
- anyway Opera is showing distorted dotted borders when zooming in,
- so the last option is to see it as an Opera-particularity, and just
let it go (wishing Opera will repair it in the next version).

And my questions:
- Do you agree with these conclusions?
- I tested in Opera 7.54 and Opera 8.01. - Maybe the newer Opera's have
fulfilled the wishes?

Thanks for reading!
Greetings,
francky