Trey wrote:
> wow. that'll teach me to leave for a weekend...

Hope you had a nice weekend :-)

> thanks, everyone, for looking at this. i'm still going through the
> test pages. i wasn't quite clear in my original post, i think. what i
>  was looking for was:
>
> a 100px (max) left column and an 800px (max) right column where, when
>  the page is made narrower than 900px causes the left column to
> collapse. the right column shouldn't collapse at all.
>
> which actually i think is just the inverse of one of the test pages
> put up by georg.

Indeed :-)
You'll have to alter the min-width for the test-container for this...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_chaos_17.html>
...to make it stop at the preferred width for a right column and throw
in a scroll-bar. I set it to 200px, while you would prefer 800px, I think.
Otherwise it's pretty much the same as the one you have created - apart
from my test case being inside a prepared test page.

> one other test that i was playing with can be seen here, http://
> www.ohtogo.com/rightmost-800-in-900.html

It is working as you described :-)

> this uses a bit of IE trickery to get around min-max issues in IE.
> more info can be found here: http://www.svendtofte.com/code/
> max_width_in_ie/

Must be expanded in order to work reliable in 'IE6 standard mode'.
This will do...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_02_01.html#item34>
...or a real javascript solution must be used.

> any thoughts on this technique? it's not great, in that in IE you
> have to refresh before the change to the page is visible.

You should also look at methods for 'deliberately dropping a float' -
what otherwise is seen by most as a problem. That'll work perfectly and
in all browsers, and the source-code order defines which float drops and
which one is staying on top.

You can even hide the dropped float...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/molly_1_11.html>
...which is what happens in the image-construct at top of center-column
when window-width is below some 770px.

Demo/test case...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_chaos_16.html>
...which only need for those floats to be reversed and tuned, source and
style, to suit your case.
---

So, there are plenty of solutions around - just waiting for the right
case/problem to show up.

regards
        Georg
--