On 4/21/06, Zoe M. Gillenwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Adam McGrath wrote:
> > the only other quick fix i could recomend is to try forcing the parent
> > element #content,  to "have layout", (eg position: relative;), that
> > usually fixes a multitude of peekaboo weirdness's
> >

> position: relative does not give an element layout in IE6. position:
> absolute does, but not relative. However, relative positioning is
> another one of IE's magic bullets (unrelated to layout). It will often
> fix problems that setting layout cannot. At other times, it will cause
> bugs, so only use it when necessary.

Zoe, you read my mind.  After reading the article on hasLayout that
people kindly provided, I saw the part about position:relative not
forcing an element to have layout and was curious as to 1) why it
works anyway and 2) would it indeed to be better to go w/ a solution
like the Holly Hack, the Underscore Hack, or something else that
forces an element's hasLayout to be true in IE.  I mean, the
position:relative is working and there are currently no ill side
effects, but why poke the IE bear w/ short stick.

--
Bryce Fields
www.royalrodent.com

"Do or do not! There is no try!" -- Yoda

DISCLAIMER: All opinions expressed herein are mine, except for the
ones I stole or were given to me by my wife.