added
float: right;
width: 100%;
to #navcontainer

and

float:left;
width:auto;
to #navlist li

I'm still unclear why some browsers support padding-top on the inline
li but Safari doesn't.  Is this a bug or is Safari just more strict?
Does it make sense that it would except horizontal padding but not
vertical padding?

And as an aside - fishing around on the net and visiting bulletin
boards highlights the high quality of information available on this
list.  Thanks everyone.

-Christy