I'm putting together a calendar (no link - i'm still at the fiddling
stage) and want to have details of certain events show up on hover. That
is, dates with events have a link w/ abbreviated title, and a hidden
span with more info. The calendar has been marked up as a table.

When the link is hovered, the hidden span (also in the table cell)
should appear, originating at top-left of that particular cell. I
figured it'd be as simple as setting event cells to have position:
relative, and the span, position: absolute; left: 0; top: 0;

Unfortunately, this causes the span to appear at top-left of the entire
table. The only way to get the span to appear at the origin of the cell
is to give the td display: block. But that causes the table to fall
apart. Unless i float the cells, but i'd rather notdo that.

Does any of this sound familiar? Is there some other way to cause the
span to find it's proper relative positioning point within the table cell?

brian