> Jack,
>
> There was a similar thread not too long ago. Here was my response,
> pointing to some appropriate layouts:
> http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/73051
>
> Zoe

Thank you all.

Over the last week I've tried several more designs, all to no avail.
Due to time pressures I have to move on, and will make do with a
layout that doesnt meet all my requirement, and re-visit this later.
The public CSM side of this project has a later release date,
thankfully.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that there is so much
non-breaking content of an unknown width - all of which might 'push
open' the center col. All of the 'main' designs I tried failed to cope
with this in what I consider to be the best way.

Once I solve it, or find a solution, I'll post a reply here

thanks again
jack