> What I need is a left column of a fixed width, then a right column
> that scales to the width of the browser window. Within that right
> column, is a table with rows of financial data. So, the layout has to
> match the illustration below:

The solution is to use *less* positioning, not more.

For your left column float a div left, and if the content doesn't give
it the width you want, specify that.  For the right use an
*unpositioned* div. Then give it a left margin greater than the width
of your left column.

Unpositioned divs are supposed to take up 100% of screen width
automatically.  So for example an unpositioned div with a left margin
of 20% will take up the right 80% of the screen, leaving room for a
floated left column of 19%.

Ed Seedhouse