On May 6, 2006, at 5:42 AM, Lori Hylan-Cho wrote:

> I was going through the bug reports on the Wiki, and I noticed this
> one
> [http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FirefoxBugs] about Firefox not
> respecting display:none on table columns. The bug indicates that IE6
> gets it right by hiding the column in question. However, the CSS2.1
> spec
> [http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#q4] seems to indicate that
> visibility:collapse is what's necessary to hide a table column --
> and in
> fact Firefox 1.5 supports this (Opera 8.5 and Safari 2.3 do not, but
> neither do they support display:none -- except to hide any other
> styles
> on the column).
>
> Does anyone know where the bug is here? Is it true that IE has it
> right,
> and that display:none *supposed* to work? Is Firefox 1.5 right in
> supporting visibiity:collapse instead?

Firefox (and other more civilised browsers) is right in *not*
supporting 'display:none' on the <col> tag.
But only Fx support visibility:collapse, afaik.

As the CSS2.1 page you mention above specifies, there are only 4
properties that applies to the <col> tag: 'border', 'background',
'width', 'visibility' (collapse). See:
<http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1070385285&count=1>

If you want to hide, let's say the first column of your table, this
works

#col1 {display:none;}
tr>td:first-child {display:none;}

Philippe