Hi there,
I've been experiencing this problem for some time, but just subscribed to
css-d; I hope some of you can help!

I wanted more flexibility than the <hr> element gave, so I defined a spacer
bar, with simple html:
(could use spans, instead)

The relevant css:

.spacer {
   clear: both;
   display: block;
   height: 3px;
   width: 95%;
   background: #686;
   margin: 0 auto;
   padding: 0;
   border: none;
}

This worked fine in FF, where I develop, and I thought nothing of it until a
friend tried to access the site with IE.  I've since tried it myself, and in
IE6 the spacer shows up thicker than I wanted.  Changing the height
declaration works fine for large heights (>25px, or so); I can't find any
way to limit it to the 3px I want.  Is there some minimum block-element
height in IE?  How do I get around this?

I've put up a very simple page showing just this bar at
http://people.uleth.ca/~marc.slingerland/testbar.html

Thanks for your help,
Marc S.
<css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>