I happened upon a strange thing by accident: by mistake I didn't set the width
of a relatively positioned float explicitly, but nothing bad happened... I've
tested it far and wide and I can't get it to break.

#navbuttons {position:relative; float:right; z-index:1}

And I looked all over the CSS specs and the only thing I could find was in
section 9.4.3 on Relative positioning.

It says

"A relatively positioned box establishes a new containing block for normal flow
children and positioned descendants."

Does that mean the width is not necessary for relatively positioned floats?

Or is there some other situation in which you don't have to specify the width
of a float (for non-replaced elements)?

thanks,
Liz