Marc Funaro wrote:
> Sorry, realized that after I posted, and just got done creating the
> smallest JPG I could:
>
> http://nyslittreedata.advantex.net/new/base.jpg

> http://nyslittreedata.advantex.net/new/base.htm

That's a pretty ordinary 'fixed-width 2-column layout with header and
footer', well suited for floats and negative margins...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>
No need for that exact layout-method, but it is one of the most robust
methods around and almost tailor-made to your design.

Height or amount of content is not a problem. Container-height will
adjust to content by simply styling them to do so. That's part of the
'negative margin' method, btw.

The header is the most tricky part, I think, but not at all difficult to
create. Four images floated left inside one div#header, and lined up /
positioned with margins on each image.
No need for divs around images - except maybe for the leftmost one for
cross-browser reliable result.

Leftmost image in header should overlap the left column, which is
easiest done by giving it a negative margin-bottom, and layering it
higher (with position: relative) than the following div#main-container.
Pushing the left column down by a 'padding-top' makes the illusion perfect.

----

Never mind cutting images to exact dimensions and putting them in divs.
The 'negative margin' method allows for pixel-perfect positioning and
dimensioning/overlapping as long as you're dealing with images.

Using paragraphs for text and lists for navigation, will give you plenty
of elements to style without adding a lot of divs.
In short: avoid "divitis".

regards
        Georg
--