Ryan McGreal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For some reason I can't fathom, this site I'm working on doesn't have a
> browser scrollbar in IE. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> HTML: http://www.chinainmyheart.com/photos.html
> CSS: http://www.chinainmyheart.com/styles/style.css
>
> Regards,
> Ryan McGreal
Ryan, you will not get a scroll bar on the rail or the page in any
browser at 1280 by 1024 because the page is not deep enough to draw one.
You'll see the page scroll bar in IE at 1024 at text-size 'largest,.'
and I am not sure why it does not show at 'medium.' One thing is that
there is a re-sizing bug in IE, that causes the fonts to go a little
goofy at anything other than text-size 'medium' when font-size in em is
declared on the body. Leaving your CSS as is, and adding this will
correct that:
that:
html { font-size: 100%; }

Your text is nice and large, so not much problem with zoom. But,
nevertheless it is sometimes a good idea to account for extreme zoom,
even though most users may not employ it. Because you've set heights on
the containers, structured the page with absolute positioning-- not even
the scroll box will help in extreme situations.

Your page could be much simpler, and more usable, by using a simple
float layout and abandoning the absolute positioning,  heights, and
scroll box-- in other words, you could just let the content flow in its
natural and unrestrained order. But that's your call, not mine.

Perhaps someone else on the list can give you a specific answer to your
question.

Regards,
~davidLaakso

--