Design Groups wrote:
> Anyway, if anyone has further input on this, I'd appreciate it - but
> it *is* just something I'm toying with, so it's of no real
> importance. Just messing around to see if it can be done.  I'm
> beginning to think that it can't!

Don't know about that :-)

If this somewhat like what you're looking for?
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/moa_8e.html>
CSS in page-head.
Footer and side-bar have fixed position relative to a fluid-width
container - regardless of window-width.

The page is a bit old now, and I've forgotten to fine-tune one of those
margins on the footer for IE/win, so IE shows a slight sign of "endless
scrolling" below bottom - but only in that test page.

The full-blown, cross-browser working, version is here...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/toc_7a.html>
...as an example.

regards
        Georg