On 06/05/22 09:54 (GMT-0400) skye estes apparently typed:

> On 5/22/06, Jono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Brian Jones wrote Tue May 16:

>> > When using this css for each div, how can I make it so that the divs
>> > expand with the size of the text

One option is to size absolutely everything that needs to be sized using
em. None of the following size anything in % or px:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/indexx.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Sites/dlviolin.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/bbcSS.html

Note how everything sizes proportionally as long as viewport size and
text size are maintained at a reasonable relationship (line lengths in
words neither unreasonably long nor unreasonably short).

>> Just keep in mind how much of your layout is going to expand beyond the
>> "typical" viewable area on resize.  Zoom x2 is as big as my site will go at
>> 1024 x 768...OK, but maybe it could be better.

> creating designs that resize well goes a long way towards improving the
> accessibility of the web.

Exactly.

> i suggest setting a pixel font size for the body and using ems for your
> units of measurement thereafter.

Setting font-size using px is incompatible with resizing by IE users'
resizer widget. Here's what one easily might find on a page following
your recommendation: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/fonts-mezzoblue12.png.
Note in the mezzoblue page on IE that the P content is a tiny fraction
of the size of the browser UI text, in spite of the text resizer setting
"largest".

So, you can either size in px, or you can, barring other obstacles in
your markup and/or CSS, have a page accessibile accessible to all
sighted visitors. You can't have both.

> that way, everything will be in proportion to that font size, and will get
> bigger and smaller with the text.

Except in the most common web browser.

> for some things, of course, pixels are still fine. it depends on the
> situation and which part of the design it will affect.

Px is easy for you, the designer, but can easily make your result
difficult or impossible for your visitor. Sizing in px is not necessary.

> i always, always make sure my sites can be resized to at least 2 sizes above
> their default. accessibility. it's the future.

The only one of your sites I've seen is http://www.pacifictao.com/, on
which IE users' text resizer widget cannot function at all,
<http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/skyees1.jpg>, thus giving it poor
accessibility. Accessibility need not and should wait for the future.
Most new pages should have it built-in.
--
"All have sinned & fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409