Bingo.  Thanks so much!

And, for those keeping score at home, the text overflow issue that was
brought up (if you increase font size, the nav items wrap, which breaks the
nav) is also solved: use em for the height attributes of the 2nd-level nav
items and the top margin of the 3rd-level instead of px.

Still learning...

-benjy