> Ingo Chao wrote:
>
> > in [1], you have two solutions, but in Jack's case, only 4:onclick
> > handler worked for me, not 3:negative z-index.
> >
> > Maybe another bug is interfering. I've tried a similar approach as with
> > links not working when placed over an absolutely positioned element with
> > a filter [2].
> >
> > http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/noclick.html
> >
> > This requires an additional inner wrapper of the a.p. link with the
> > dimensions of the image. But here, the negative z-index does the trick.
>
> Yes, that's interesting.
> If the anchor has 'layout' but not position:absolute, then position:absolute
> (or relative as well) and z-index:-1 on the image solves the IE5.0 problem,
> without the need of an extra wrapper.  But with position:absolute on the
> anchor this doesn't work anymore (the stacking changes), so an extra wrapper
> seems necessary (unless one wants to use javascript.)
>
> Bruno

thank you all. I'll play with all this on the weekend and see if I can
get it working 'fully'. I'm glad others had problems with this, as
it's the first bug in a while that caused me real pain.

re http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/noclick.html
thanks for the sample. One thing though - might need to set
cursor:hand on that link for IE5.0. The cursor doesn't change on
:hover, just another sign that some kind of problem persists.

thanks again
jack