Niklas,

Thanks so much - yes, you've reminded me to be more careful when trying new
statements, to remove them or review them after I have something workable!  It
was messy for sure ;)

The prop/clear seems to be working now, and looks just like the old "1px
transparent gif spacer image" hack we've been using with tables for years.
(Funny how the same types of hacks are necessary, even when we've gone from
tables to CSS for layouts!)

REGARDING:

    >   I deleted the wrapping div of the form-tag. You don't
    >   need it! Think of the fieldset-tag as a wrapper. Same
    >   here: Reduce your HTML to the minimum!
    >
    >   #accountLink {
    >           /*float: right;*/
    >   }

if I remove the DIV tags, the HTML for:

http://nyslittreedata.advantex.net/index.cfm/fuseaction/Accounts.LoginForm.cfm

does not validate to html 4.01 strict, resulting in the following validation
errors:

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Strict!

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

   1. Error Line 120 column 66: document type does not allow element "INPUT"
here; missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6", "PRE", "DIV",
"ADDRESS" start-tag.

      ...idden" name="fuseaction" value="Accounts.procLogin">

      The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which
you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both
allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you
need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a
previous element.

      One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a
block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such

      ✉
   2. Error Line 133 column 97: document type does not allow element "INPUT"
here; missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6", "PRE", "DIV",
"ADDRESS" start-tag.

      ...cLogin'; document.loginform.submit()">

That's why I've left the DIVs around the form in place.

One last (new) question... Is there any way to get the content within the
#postContentWrapper div to float at the bottom of the white content area that
we've just "propped"?

Again, I appreciate your help!!  Once this project is done, I'm going to grab a
good book on CSS and spend quality time filling in all these gaps in my
understanding of CSS layouts.  It's the exceptions and IE hacks that are just
driving me insane... I don't know how ANYBODY remembers all this -- at the
moment it's just a bit overwhelming, especially on a deadline :)

Thanks again,

Marc