I think the active state is used if you keyboard navigate the links without
activating them.  The
link that will be followed by pressing the space/enter key can be "active"
without sharing the
"hover" status.  True, many people navigate solely with the mouse.  As a
general rule, I would
suggest being extra explicit about your selectors and rules rather than relying
on default
behaviors.