> Some uses of overflow: auto; and/or fixed stuff may break the wheel from
> time to time in various browsers.
Hi everyone,

I happened to notice the same problem a few days ago, while doing some
tests (mainly on various versions of IE/win).

I think :

- IE 5.0 won't respond to the scrollwheel at all (at least on a div with
overflow set to auto or fixed);
- IE 5.5 will only scroll if the div has been given focus before
(clicking on it);
- IE 6.x does funny things when the div has no specific background
property : the scrolling will start *only* if the pointer stands over
text (and maybe image, I didn't have any in my div) that is inside the
div. If the pointer stands over the (transparent by default) background
of the div, nothing happens. So it's a game where you must try to start
scrolling :-) . Putting a background color on the div solves this (I
suppose putting a bacgkround image should solve it too);

These tests were made under Windows XP. I can't remember how other
browsers treat mousewheel with overflow, but I think everything was ok
on recent browsers under Mac OS X too (except maybe IE 5 mac ?)

Oh, and since it is my first post here (although I've been reading it
for quite some time now), I'd like to thank everyone on this list for
the invaluable knowledge they share and bring to web developers, and
always with incredibly quick answers.

--
Cédric FLOQUET
Développeur Web

Unité de Technologie de l'Education (service du Professeur Depover)
(http://www.umh.ac.be/ute/ )
Faculté de Psychologie et des Sciences de l'Education
Université de Mons-Hainaut (http://www.umh.ac.be/ )
Place du Parc, 18  - 7000 Mons (Belgique)

Tel : (+32) (0)65 37 31 19
Fax : (+32) (0)65 37 30 79
E-mail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]