That's not a CSS question, really more a function of HTML POST,
sometimes called a 'sticky form'. JavaScript or a scripting language
such as PHP are commonly used to make the forms smart, retain and
qualify data.  Check out a quickie example at:
www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/stickyform.php and stickyform.txt to see the
code.

Do a google.  Pick up an html/scripting book.  Maybe check
lists.evolt.org for a more appropriate forum?

-Bob