At 2:23 PM +0100 5/29/06, Mike A wrote:
>I've mostly lurked on this list for more than three years but had
>this niggling issue going round in my mind.
>
>As I understand it, best search engine results are obtained by
>placing content nearest the top of page code - matching key words in
>h1, alt, title tags and first sentence of content is of crucial
>importance.
>
>Conventional mark-up and layout results in the typical HTML page
>format of Header / Columns / Footer format for "natural" page flow.
>
>My question is this: is it more search engine friendly to use a
>mark-up format of Columns / Header / Footer and use CSS
>position:absolute to place Header above Columns and Footer? If so,
>what are the pitfalls, if any?
>
>TIA for response.
>
>Mike A.

Mike:

This is debatable as to being on-topic, but because it deals with how
css can be used, I'll comment. May the Admin Gods forgive me if they
see otherwise.

I think I know where you're going with this -- because I've been there myself.

With css you can display things one-way for the viewer and another
way for SE's -- no problem.

SE's read site-text from the beginning to the end, but with css you
can change that for the viewer. I wrote an example once, but can't
seem to find it at the moment. But, I know it can be done.

As for pitfalls, it depends upon how the SE people look at what you
did when a competitor complains about your ranking above their site.
Outside, of that, and making things a bit more difficult for
yourself, I don't see any downside.

tedd