Yesterday it was a mystery as to why my <ul> inline nav links were
highlighting incorrectly without regard to the pointer actually being
over them. As fun as that was, I thought it was worth fixing. I posted
and learned that there are "phantom links" in every box of MSIE 5.2 for
the Mac! Thanks to Phillipe W. for introducing me to CodeBitch (!) and
the solution. My nav links were quickly put to right.

That lead to a curious new problem: nav links correctly react to hover,
but now the TEXT, often several paragraphs down, starts jumping around
in a random mix of ways.

Note: I am working on a Mac with MSIE 5.2. I just went to a neighbor and
looked at my pages with a PC and a more current version of IE; while the
text didn't jump around, the links themselves displayed a strange
behavior, using a different bottom padding than I see in anything else!

Thinking that this was more phantom something, I actually removed
floated pictures from first paragraphs: no change. I removed a pop-up
menu from one page: no change. I have now even gone so far as to put the
navlist div OUTSIDE my wrapper and it STILL affects the paragraphs.

Visit http://www.floralore.com/ with MSIE and roll the mouse over the
nav link marked "home". Do the links jump? There is a gap intentionally
left between the nav and the content just to show that they are
separated chunks.

Oddly, after rolling over all links once or twice and watching the
jumping actions, things 'settle in' and the jumping stops on that page.

If this is a problem only on Mac IE 5.2, the heck with it. No Mac user
in their right mind actually still uses IE except for this "testing",
and if the testing solves nothing for PC users with ie6, why should I
bother?

Comments and observations welcomed.

Thanks,

Steve